May 27, 2020
The HUB RiNo Station Awarded LEED® Gold Core and Shell Under V4 for Building Design and Construction
The Project Is the First in Colorado to Achieve This Distinction
DENVER, COLORADO – June 4, 2020 – Gensler today announced that its creative office and mixed-use development, The HUB RiNo Station, has been awarded LEED Gold for Core & Shell under the U.S. Green Buildings Council’s (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) program. This prestigious designation marks The HUB RiNo Station as the first project in Colorado to achieve LEED Gold for Core & Shell under the v4 program for Building Design and Construction. Developer Beacon Capital Partners has a strong sustainable approach to all of its developments, with LEED Gold certification as a minimum requirement.
The highly sustainable project was designed by Gensler and built by Mortenson. Completed in 2018, the HUB RiNo Station includes an eight-story building with 220,000 square feet of commercial office use and 25,000 square feet of ground-level retail. Using the emerging principles of creative office to offer a unique space in Denver for commercial tenants, the project transforms the site into an urban campus of shared amenities. The HUB RiNo Station is located in a dynamic corridor in Northeast Denver — RiNo (River North Art District), which has been a historic rail-based industrial area. This area sits on the edge of a residential neighborhood and is generally composed of industrial buildings, renovated workshops, restaurants, and art galleries.
"The HUB RiNo Station’s LEED certification demonstrates tremendous green building leadership," said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, USGBC. "LEED was created to make the world a better place and revolutionize our buildings and communities by providing everyone with access to healthy, green, and high performing buildings. This project is a prime example of how the innovative work of project teams can create local solutions that contribute to making a global difference."
The HUB RiNo Station was designed to reduce energy use by approximately 29% and reduce domestic water use by 40%. Multiple process water reductions were also set in place. Additionally, the project has purchased carbon offset and green power for 100% of the remaining energy use. This was accomplished by incorporating design elements to increase the efficiency of the building, installing high-efficiency mechanical systems, and taking advantage of daylighting.
Key sustainable design features of The HUB RiNo Station:
- The design takes advantage of RiNo’s dynamic, transit-oriented location by leveraging its strong connection to multiple rail and bus lines, bikeway system, and pedestrian paths.
- The project has minimal auto parking stalls with a focus on ridesharing, green and efficient vehicles to promote alternative commuting for the building’s occupants.
- The project encourages occupant wellness by creating an active design, including a large on-site fitness facility with showers, huge green roof, multiple terraces directly connected to tenant spaces, large pedestrian and bike-friendly stair connection to the streetscape, high-quality views in over 90% of office space, significant natural daylight available to all tenants, ample bike parking and locker rooms, and a very open light-filled stairs between levels.
- The building went through a rigorous, enhanced commission process that includes on-going monitoring to ensure all systems are performing optimally.
- The building is innovative and community-minded, which includes an urban beehive program located on the roof to promote overall ecological health.
Gensler is a global architecture, design, and planning firm with 53 locations and more than 7,000 professionals networked across the Americas, Europe, Greater China, Asia Pacific, and the Middle East. Founded in 1965, the firm works globally with more than 4,000 clients across more than 29 practice areas spanning the work, lifestyle, community, and health sectors. We are guided by our mission to create a better world through the power of design, and the source of our strength is our people. By leveraging our diversity of ideas, our research and innovation, our shared values, and our One-Firm Firm culture, we are working seamlessly as a borderless firm in 140 countries and making the greatest impact on our communities as we continue to tackle the world’s challenges.
About Beacon Capital Partners:
Beacon Capital Partners is a tenant-focused private real estate investment firm with a 75-year legacy of successful real estate development, ownership, and management. Beacon invests in high-quality office properties in core urban markets with highly-educated workforces. The company’s hands-on approach transforms these properties for today’s tenants, with innovative design, state-of-the-art connectivity, modern amenities, and award-winning sustainability and risk management initiatives. To find out more about Beacon Capital Partners, please visit www.beaconcapital.com.For more information, please contact:
Bianca Blasquez, Public Relations, Southwest Region, at .
Photo Credit: Gensler/Ryan Gobuty