For the conversion of 888 Brannan – originally constructed in 1917 as the Eveready Battery Company warehouse – Gensler created workspace environments that would appeal to high-tech and creative tenants. Acknowledging the building’s historic value, Gensler’s design stripped away recent additions to reveal much of the original structure. Four floors of glass-walled office spaces wrap the sky-lit atrium. A significantly scaled green wall and the opening of large, previously painted-over windows improve access to light and fresh air; a loading dock, transformed, now offers a public courtyard. The building’s large-scale industrial structures and architectural elements – including train tracks turned into walkways – are preserved for character.