Applications for the 2024 DSD Program are open from October 2023 to January 8, 2024.
We’re looking for ambitious candidates with a design background and a passion for tackling tough problems using unconventional insights into people, processes, and the places where they collide. We seek individuals who inspire the people around them, who bring a fresh perspective to their work, and who can work collaboratively within a team and across geographic boundaries.
Ideal candidates for the Design Strategist Development Program possess a background in designing for the built environment and have demonstrated exceptional leadership through past academic and/or professional achievements. Strong interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills are critical. Comfort in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously is a must. Candidates should be self-starters, quick-learners, and exude an entrepreneurial spirit.
Critical considerations prior to applying:
- You must follow all program application directions and meet the Personal Dossier submission requirements as outlined here.
Successful candidates will possess:
- An undergraduate or master’s degree in architecture, interior design, environmental design, urban design, industrial design, real estate, design strategy, organizational development, graphic design, brand strategy, or similar fields. A degree from an accredited institution (when applicable) is preferred.
- Professional experience related to your field of study; your experience may include relevant internships and/or co-op experience.
- A strong academic background. A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative American GPA (or equivalent from your country of study) is preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to create powerful and compelling narratives with strong written, visual, and graphic content.
- Familiarity with research methodologies and processes.
- An interest in user research, design strategy, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, and space programming.
- The following technical skills:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign).
- Fluency with digital collaboration tools such as Miro, Mural, Microsoft Teams, etc.
- Basic skills in AutoCAD, Revit, 3D, and multi-media technologies are a plus.
As a DSD program participant, you will work in Gensler’s Strategy practice, supporting projects across a broad range of services including workplace strategy, real estate portfolio strategy, change management, and more.
Your work on project teams will include:
- Delivering solutions that bring to bear the full breadth of Gensler’s Strategy capabilities.
- Structuring and performing analysis, and conducting secondary and primary research to uncover the insights that support our recommendations to clients.
- Creating verbal, written, and visual communications, with a particular emphasis on problem framing, visual storytelling, and information design.
- Planning and conducting ethnographic research studies, analyzing field data, and clearly communicating actionable insights and opportunities for design and innovation.
- Developing vision sessions, focus groups, workshops, and interviews.
- Working with clients from Fortune 500 companies, world-class institutions, non-profit organizations, startups, and more.
Gensler has always been about recognizing the value that people with different life experiences, backgrounds, and viewpoints bring to our family. We embrace and celebrate our differences because we see them for what they are — powerful drivers of innovation. Come join our talented global community, united by a passion for design, a dedication to our clients, and a shared set of values. Though not required, the following attributes that contribute to our program’s diversity will be highly considered:
- Dual degrees in two diverse, yet interrelated fields (Example: anthropology + interior design)
Visit our FAQ page to submit questions regarding the program.
At Gensler, we are one community, united by our commitment to holistically improve the human experience. If you believe design has the power to enrich the human experience on a global scale and you meet the above criteria, click below to apply.